Monday, May 14, 2007

Dorothy's 60th Birthday Party

Most people don't think of having a birthday party just so they can tell their loved ones about God. But Dorothy did. When she heard a friend of hers talk about having a wedding and bringing Jesus to that occasion, she was inspired to do the same. Here is what Dorothy shared at her 60th birthday party.



I want to thank everyone for coming tonight to celebrate with me. Our family looks for any excuse to party and I thought this would be a great time to get together with my family and friends. We are all so busy, we don’t get a lot of time to visit with one another.

You may think this evening is all about me, but it is also about you and your relationship to me. I appreciate all of you and am grateful for who you are and what you mean to me. Every one of you are unique and have impacted my life in many different ways, from when I was born, when I was a little girl, in my teenage years, in my married life, in my life as a single mom and now as a single grandma raising 2 of my grandchildren.



60 years ago I was born into a family that already had 2 little boys, Ivan and Keith. After me came Earl, John, Christina, Bonnie, Walter, Shelly and Cheryl. My family is special to me and I love them all.

When I was 5 years old, my parents sent my brothers and I to Sunday School. It was there that I learned about God and I decided that I wanted God to be in my life. He put some desires in my heart. One desire was to go to Africa to be a missionary. That desire was fulfilled, as you saw on the screen, the picture of me in Africa on a mission’s trip.

It has not been an easy life because in life good things happen and bad things happen, but God gives us love through it all. Even when we make mistakes, God gives us grace and mercy and love. God loves me and I love you.

I would like to read God’s letter to us. It is called “My Child”. It basically says God knows all about you and he is there for you and will always be your Father. The question is, “Will you be his child?”

Then I started my presentations of heart shaped boxes of chocolates. I said:

“I would like to honour two ladies here tonight. My auntie Mary, who is my mom’s sister and auntie Jean, my mom’s sister-in-law. They new me when I was born. I want to thank you for being so nice and kind and a good example to me with being women of integrity. I love you and here is a piece of my heart.” (I handed them the chocolates). (Then I went on to say) “I love my brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews, they are special to me.” (I called each one up and gave them a hug and gave them a heart shaped box of chocolates and told them) “I love you and here is a piece of my heart.” (Then I repeated the same thing to my children and each of my grandchildren.--Gave them hugs and told them I love them and handed them a box of chocolates. And then, I told my guests that) “I have a kiss for each of you.” (I gave 5 of my little granddaughters little red plush purses filled with Hershey Kisses and sent them to the tables to hand the kisses out to my family and friends.)



One of the best way to share Jesus with our families and friends is through an occasion like a birthday celebration. You might find it just as memorable and surprisingly affirming for both your guests and yourself.

ICN Blogmaster

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home